Kevin C. Stevens, Esq.
Real Estate Law; Construction Law; and Civil Litigation
KEVIN C. STEVENS is a shareholder in the firm, concentrating his practice in the areas of real estate law, civil litigation, and general corporate law with a focus on complex commercial litigation, construction law, representation of community associations, real estate transactions and litigation, and utility law.
Mr. Stevens currently serves as general counsel to two of the largest property owners associations in the State of Tennessee and also represents many other community associations and private country clubs throughout the region.
Additionally, Mr. Stevens serves as general counsel for a solid waste commission that operates a regional landfill.
U.S. News & World Report recognized Kevin in The Best Lawyers in America(C) in the practice areas of Construction Law in 2020 and 2021 and in Litigation - Construction in 2021.
Civil Litigation Experience
In his litigation practice, Mr. Stevens regularly appears before Tennessee state and federal courts at the trial and appellate levels, representing a wide variety of corporate and governmental clients through all phases of complex litigation. Mr. Stevens has successfully tried numerous jury and non-jury trials and arbitrations to verdict throughout the State of Tennessee. In addition, he has frequently argued before the Tennessee Court of Appeals.
Mr. Stevens’ recent litigation experience includes the following:
- Served as lead counsel for a municipality and municipal pension board in successfully obtaining dismissal of a class action lawsuit related to the taxation of pension benefits wherein the governmental entities had potential exposure in excess of $10,000,000.
- Served as lead counsel for a private golf community in successfully obtaining dismissal of a lawsuit challenging a country club membership requirement contained in the community declaration.
- Served as lead trial and appellate counsel for a large property owners association in successfully obtaining specific performance of an option agreement to repurchase certain property for development of an assisted living campus.
Real Estate, Construction, and Transactional Experience
Mr. Stevens also regularly represents clients in the following areas of law:
- Representation of community associations and private country clubs in real estate transactions, premises liability litigation, contract disputes, enforcement of restrictive covenants, and collection and foreclosure matters.
- Representation of general contractors, subcontractors, owners, suppliers, and design professionals in various construction related disputes, including defect claims, delay claims, scope of work claims, mechanics' and materialmen's liens, and bond claims.
- Representation of national and regional real estate development companies in commercial lease disputes, premises liability litigation, and wrongful detainer actions.
- Representation of national and regional banks in commercial litigation, breach of contract claims, Chapter 7 and 11 bankruptcy cases and adversary proceedings, and foreclosure matters.
- Served as seller’s counsel in a $35,000,000 stock sale transaction related to the sale of a resort rental management agency.
Mr. Stevens is a member of the Tennessee Bar Association, the Knoxville Bar Association, the Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel, and the Community Associations Institute where he currently serves as Chairman of the East Tennessee Regional Council.
Mr. Stevens received his B.A. degree, cum laude, from Wake Forest University in 1999. He earned his J.D., cum laude, from The University of Tennessee College of Law in 2003. While in law school, Mr. Stevens served as an editor of the Tennessee Law Review, represented clients for the University of Tennessee Legal Clinic, and was named to the Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society.
Contact Kevin Today: firstname.lastname@example.org
865-546-7311 (Phone) | 865-524-1773 (Fax)
- Tolliver v. Tellico Village Property Owners Association, Inc., 579 S.W.3d 8 (Tenn. Ct. App. 2019)
- Tennessee Traders Landing, LLC v. Jenkins and Stiles, LLC, 2018 WL 3343592 (Tenn. Ct. App. Apr. 17, 2018)
- Schodowski v. Tellico Village Property Owners Association, Inc., 2016 WL 1627895 (Tenn. Ct. App. Apr. 22, 2016)
- Kordon et al. v. Newport et al., 2015 WL 1881088 (Tenn. Ct. App. Apr. 24, 2015)
Tellico Village Property Owners Association, Inc. v. Health Solutions, LLC, 2013 WL 362815 (Tenn. Ct. App. Jan. 30, 2013)
Gatlinburg Roadhouse Investors, LLC v. Porter, 2012 WL 6643809 (Tenn. Ct. App. Dec. 20, 2012)
Roach v. Bunch, 387 S.W.3d 15 (Tenn. Ct. App. 2012)
2850 Parkway General Partnership v. Scott, 2012 WL 19520 (Tenn. Ct. App. Jan. 5, 2012)
Ellis v. Sprouse Residuary Trust, 304 S.W.3d 333 (Tenn. Ct. App. 2009)
Hill v. Simpson, 2007 WL 2780376 (Tenn. Ct. App. Sept. 25, 2007)