Robert H. Green, Esq.
Construction Law and Arbitration and Mediation
For more than thirty years, ROBERT H. GREEN's
legal practice has focused on the litigation
, arbitration, and mediation
of complex construction
disputes. He has represented architects, engineers, designers, sub- and specialty contractors, general contractors, and owners involved in various public and private (commercial, industrial, and residential) projects in litigation and/or arbitration and mediation. His construction claims and contracting experience has related to a wide variety of commercial projects, including university buildings, industrial buildings (including roofs and flooring), country club construction and renovation, rail line reconstruction, school construction, apartment and condominium construction, church construction, retaining wall failures, and hotel renovations.
U.S. News & World Report has named Bob in The Best Lawyers in America(C) in the practice area of Construction Law every year since 2008 and in the practice area of Litigation - Construction every year since 2011, including 2021.
In 2013, 2015, and 2018, Bob was named by U.S. News and World Report as LAWYER OF THE YEAR in the practice area of Construction Law. He was also named LAWYER OF THE YEAR in 2016 for Litigation - Construction.
Cityview Magazine has recognized Bob as a Top Attorney of Knoxville in the practice area of Construction Law in 2007, 2011, and 2020
Alternative Dispute Resolution Experience
Mr. Green has acted as a sole arbitrator and member of an arbitration panel (frequently as chairman) for resolution of claims ranging from a few thousand to millions of dollars. He has arbitrated many disputes between general contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, owners, and material suppliers. Representative projects include all kinds of commercial and industrial buildings and single-family and multi-family residential projects. He has served as mediator on a wide variety of commercial and industrial disputes, including home construction, commercial building construction, precious metals mining processes in Bolivia, South America, bridge damage by barge company, construction of major health care facility, and utility infrastructure improvements.
Cityview Magazine has recognized Bob as a Top Attorney of Knoxville in the practice area of Arbitration in 2008.
Bob was admitted to the Tennessee Bar in 1975 and is a member of the Knoxville Bar Association ("KBA"), Tennessee Bar Association ("TBA") and the Forum on the Construction Industry of the American Bar Association ("ABA"). He has been admitted to the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee (in which he is also a Certified Mediator), the U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee, the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims. He was the author of Tennessee Construction and Design Law Chapter for the ABA’s “A State-By-State Guide to Construction & Design Law, Second Edition.”
Bob is a founding member, Treasurer, and member of the governing board of the Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel. He is also a Panel Member of the AAA Construction and Commercial Arbitration Panel and a member of the Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association. He is a currently inactive Tennessee Professional Engineer and a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. In 2012, he was presented with the Don L. Smith Award by the Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel in Recognition of Lifetime Achievement in the Advancement of Tennessee Construction Law.
Before graduating from the University of Tennessee College of Law in 1975, Bob attained a B.S. in Engineering Operations from Iowa State University and a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Iowa.
865-546-7311 (Office) | 865-524-1773 (Fax) | 865-342-2136 (Direct)
Alternative Dispute Resolution Training
- AAA/CCA Managing a Successful Arbitration, 2013
- AAA/AGC, Maximizing Mediation: How to Use Mediation Effectively to Resolve Disputes and Obtain Good Results, 2012
- AAA Webinar, How to Become a More Innovative Neutral or Advocate: Applying Cutting Edge Innovative Management Techniques to your ADR practice, 2011
- AAA Chairing and Arbitration Panel: Managing Procedures, Process & Dynamics, 2010
- AAA Dealing with Delay Tactics in Arbitration 2009
- AAA Chairing an Arbitration Panel: Managing Procedures, Process & Dynamics, 2006
- AAA Neutrals Conference, 2004
- AAA Arbitration Awards: Safeguarding, Deciding & Writing Awards, 2004
- AAA Annual Arbitrator Update, 2004, 2001
- AAA Construction Advised Industry Arbitrator II Training: Advanced Case Management Issues, 2002
- Advanced Civil Mediation Training, 1997
- The University of Tennessee and Community Mediation Center - Advanced Rule 31 Civil Mediation Training, 1997
- AAA Construction Arbitration Workshop, 1996
- AAA Construction Mediation Training and Arbitration Training, Intermediate and Advanced.